My quilting bee has made another fantastic quilt this year, for the guild’s Heritage Day auction. It turned out just wonderfully, even if it is a bit traditional for our tastes. We started with some fabric that was donated – a kit with no directions. It was all blue and tan (very blah), so we added some red, and I made a design for it, based on the fabric we had. The border fabric was a no-brainer, as it had a wide border design. There are 25 star blocks in the middle in alternating colors, a couple smaller borders and the big border. We sewed all the borders together as a unit and attached them at one time to the sides, before mitering the corners as a single unit. That was Noi’s very good idea. I think this made it so much easier. I think everyone in the bee played a big role in the quilt. We had several ‘sew-together’ days, as well as block kits that folks took home with them.
The day before we unveiled the finished project within the group, after our expert binder had done her stuff, a member of our bee died very suddenly. It was heart wrenching and sad and terrible, and just such a shock for me, someone you have seen for so long and so regularly.
There was actually one final step to finish our quilt, before it was turned in to the guild for the auction this fall. The label now reads “In memory of Patti Murphy.”