New Bee Quilt, and a Sad Day

My quilting bee has made another fantastic quilt this year, for the guild’s Heritage Day auction.  It turned out just wonderfully, even if it is a bit traditional for our tastes.  We started with some fabric that was donated – a kit with no directions. It was all blue and tan (very blah), so we added some red, and I made a design for it, based on the fabric we had.  The border fabric was a no-brainer, as it had a wide border design.  There are 25 star blocks in the middle in alternating colors, a couple smaller borders and the big border.  We sewed all the borders together as a unit and attached them at one time to the sides, before mitering the corners as a single unit. That was Noi’s very good idea.  I think this made it so much easier. I think everyone in the bee played a big role in the quilt. We had several ‘sew-together’ days, as well as block kits that folks took home with them.

Click along to see the queen size quilt and to understand our sadness.

King Size Quilt Top, at Craftalife.com

I finished my King-size Quilt Top! Phew!

Here’s a photo of the king size paint box quilt top, laying on our bed.  I’m glad I chose the charcoal gray for the sashing. It gives it a very different look, I think. This pattern is based loosely on the Paint Box Quilt by Elizabeth Hartman.

King Size Quilt Top, at Craftalife.com

You can’t see from this photo, but there are wide gray borders on the left and right.

I decided to have my friend Angela at Thread Waggle Quilting quilt it for me.  I was going to attempt it myself on one of her longarms, but eventually decided it would be too much for me physically.  King-Size is just so very big. I think it would take me hours and hours. And she does such a fantastic job!